Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

If by warm, you mean cool, then yes.

I don't want to be a whiner.

Sometimes hotels just have bad days, I think. And that's understandable. But it can also be frustrating when you're tired. I'm just saying.

I have an example. Last night, I arrived at the Sheraton in Bellevue where I have stayed often and it is generally a very inoffensive place.

It was raining when I arrived, and since I have not yet internalized that bringing an umbrella with me when I travel to Seattle is generally not going to be a wasted effort, I was soaking wet when I got in line at the front desk to check in. There was only one person working the desk and she was helping two Indian fellows ahead of me who had been locked out of their room. The plot soon thickened, however, when they said the room was not actually in either of their names, but in the name of a gentleman who had come and already gone. This took a while to resolve. All the while, a restless line is forming behind me and a young woman in a pretty white blouse with a nametag that just says "Training" is standing behind the other woman looking uncomfortable.

When I finally made it up to my room I did the first thing I always do upon entering a hotel room: turn off the AC, which for some reason is always on even in the dead of winter. It was not warm outside but the AC was blasting away per usual and, unsettlingly, continued to blast even as I set the thermostat to 80 degrees.

I turned the whole system off. No good - an aggressive fan continued to push cold air into the room. Apparently nothing but cold air was on the menu for the evening.

I phoned the front desk and they sent up a technician who did some stuff but as soon as he left it started again. I turned it off. It stopped for a while then: more cold air. As someone who hates being cold, this is like someone playing a mean prank on me.

No fair.

I debated calling again and decided that instead it was just time to go to sleep.

The end.
Digg this

No comments: