Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A walk near Schiphol

This afternoon our meetings ended at 4pm so I had some time to relax a bit before dinner. I decided to go for a walk. You may recall that I am staying 100 yards from the airport, so this isn't exactly walking tour country, but one of the guys from my meetings said he'd been running along the bike path and within minutes you're away from the airport and in farmland. He said he saw chickens. I had to go.

So I set off on a little walk down the bike path, hoping for fresh country air and relaxation. I quickly discovered that one of the different things here is that motorized scooters also go on the bike paths and as far as I can tell they are all in a quite a hurry.

It was great to be outside but walking is a lot slower than running and I didn't get to the good stuff until it was pretty much time to turn around. So I got a full helping of jet fuel fumes and airport operations scenery, and just a taste of the pretty countryside. I didn't get to see a single chicken.

On the walk back not one but two scooter-ers stopped to offer me a lift and both seemed sincerely puzzled when I did not accept. It was very tempting, but then again I had gone out expressly for a walk so taking a ride would have defeated the whole purpose.

Here's the best of what I saw:

Digg this

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Lovely. Glad you got some time to yourself!