Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Pear Guy strikes again

It being Tuesday yesterday, I went to get the fruit, as I do.

I was greeted once again by the new young fellow who gave me the free pear last time, and we started with the same ritual as last week. "Your box sucks - have one of these special pears." I thanked him and proceeded to load the rest of my fruit into my backpack. He stood there watching me, and another young gentleman colleague came over the watch the unparalleled drama of me piling peaches, Asian pears and pluots into my bag.

Pear Guy's monologue about my fruit box continued this time.

"Oh look," he went on, "look how they gave you a whole bunch of really small peaches this week. They must think you have really small teeth."

Courtesy laugh.

"Or maybe they think they're for all your kids. They don't know that you're a single lady who..."

"Stop it man!" hissed the colleague. "Dude, look at her ring!"

"Oh yeah, look at that. That's quite a ring. What does this guy do anyway?" Pear Guy was not letting up.

"He's a scientist," I offered.

"What kind of scientist?" they wanted to know.

"A virologist."

Mercifully, the fruit was now safely stowed in my bag and I zipped it up, thanked them for their help and headed for the door.

"Watch out for H1N1!" Pear Guy called after me.
Digg this

1 comment:

Sarah said...

So...you pick your fruit up at the local high school? Those guys sure sound charming.