Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Monday, September 7, 2009

And now for something different

I'm in Amsterdam this week for work and because I didn't get to book my own travel, I am not staying at a Starwood property (booo); instead I am staying in a hotel called Citizen M which is remarkable in a number of ways.

1. It is walking distance from the airport. I literally got off my flight, wheeled my bag out of the terminal and down a small paved walkway about a hundred yards to the hotel. It it well sound-proofed so you don't hear airport noises, which is nice. At check-in I was offered a 'runway view' or a 'World Trade Center' view, which is nice way of saying the view that looks at some other buildings with a bunch of flags on them. I chose runway view but somehow got WTC view instead. Eh, whatever.

2. If one day you found yourself making hotel arrangements for George Jetson this would be a safe bet if you were worried about him feeling comfortable in familiar surroundings. As you can see in the photo below, the room includes two sliding-glass-enclosed pods for the toilet and shower. They seem to have forgotten the pod that puts your clothes on you and does your hair.


3. The room makes a lot happen in not a lot of square footage and doesn't include silly wastes of space like, oh, a closet. You only get three clothes hangers for the rack by the door and when you ask for more like one of my colleagues did, you get a look like "Ugh, Americans." And then you get told no.

4. The room has a mood pad that allows you to change the way the lights go and varies between a range of mood music options and probably other things that I haven't even discovered yet.

5. The blinds are motorized and you can open and close them from a push button you can reach from the bed (then again, practically anything in this room is reachable from the bed so that's a dubious distinction).

I've heard that the bed actually converts to a couch at the touch of a button, too, but haven't seen it for myself. Am vaguely concerned I will accidentally discover that button on the middle of the night and get squished.
Digg this

No comments: