Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sweet

I went to get the fruit today* around 5:30. The shop officially closes at 5pm, so they have the gate pulled closed but they are still in there hanging out and cleaning up. Each week I pull up on my bike and wave and ask them for my box, and they open the gate just enough to squeeze the box through so I can unload the box into my backpack and bike it home.

This time there was a new guy there who I hadn't seen before and he was the one who brought me the box. He brought it over to me, opened it up, looked in it, and then looked at me and said:

"Your box sucks."

"Um...." I was a little perplexed by this exchange.

"Your box sucks," he reiterated, "because it doesn't have any Mumblety** Pears."

He set the box down and walked away, then returned a moment later with a plate of cut up pear.

"Eat this" he instructed me.

I ate a piece of pear. It was good: sweet, and peary.

"Isn't that above and beyond." It was a statement, not a question.

"Yeah, that's a great pear," I acknowledged.

"Here. You need to have one of these." He picked up a brand new Mumblety Pear and put it in my box.

"Now you're all set."



*We belong to a local, organic, fruit-only CSA at Frog Hollow Farm and every Tuesday we have to go pick up our box of fruit. It's delicious and you always get whatever is in season.
**He was clearly talking about a specific varietal of pear but I have no idea which one.
Digg this

No comments: