Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Grocery store scoldings

I took Emerson with me grocery shopping today, as usual. His socks had been falling off all day so as we headed into the grocery store I took them off and left them in the car to avoid losing them in the store.

In the produce section, the first stop in my route through the store, an older Mexican woman stopped me to admire Emerson.

"Oh look at the baby!" she cooed. Then suddenly, with horror: "Bare feet! Are you cold little one?"

"He kept losing his socks..." I attempted feebly to explain. Ignoring me, she grabbed his feet with her hands.

"Oh you're freezing!* Pobrecito! Pobrecito!"

I managed to move on, but was feeling like Most Horrible Mother Ever.

I was finally fully focused on grocery shopping again several minutes later when another older woman stopped me to admire Emerson, only to recoil in horror and scold me sternly upon discovering his bare little feet.

This happened no fewer than four times. Yes, four times. During one forty minute grocery shopping trip.

As far as I can tell, this grocery trip was far more traumatic for me than it was for Emerson and his chilly little feet.


*He wasn't freezing.
Digg this

No comments: