Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

We were just riffing

Last night was one of our highly anticipated symphony nights and the SF Symphony was performing the Brandenburg concertos. They were wonderful (though admittedly not as transcendent as the Mahler pieces we saw last time). I played some of this music on the violin in a previous life which made it especially neat to hear it performed.

One fun aspect of these pieces is that there is a spot for some harpsichord improvisation. Yes, really. Surely this is not an opportunity that many harpsichordists get very often. The fact that Eric hates harpsichord music just made it that much more fun.

Walking to the car after the show, Eric and I debriefed the concert, and in particular the harpsichord solos.

"He totally wailed on that harpsichord," Eric observed.

"Yeah," I agreed, "he tore that harpsichord into three pieces."

"Was he bad?" asked the tall dark-haired woman walking in front of us, turning around to look at us.

"We have no idea," I clarified. "I'm sure he was great," I added because I felt bad that she thought we had been critiquing him when really we were just entertaining ourselves with funny language.
Digg this

No comments: