Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Monday, November 23, 2009

On handwashing: the sequel

I'd like to report that as soon as I got my H1N1 vaccine, I backed away from the slippery precipice of manic germophobia and can happily report no ill effects, at least so far.

And today, further vindication. The BBC reported results from new scientific studies that prove what I have long asserted as undisputable fact: dirty children are healthier children.*

I do admit to being somewhat more conscious than I used to be: for example, after spending an hour checking out and sitting in at least 25 different sample chairs in Macy's on Saturday, I did hesitate as went to reach for a handful of almonds in my purse. H1N1 vaccine notwithstanding, it just didn't seem smart to thrust my potentially germy hand into the bag of almonds and then put them in my mouth.

So instead, I held the bag up over my face and attempted to gracefully pour just a few almonds into my mouth. Eric quickly distanced himself from this public spectacle. But we were both facing dangerously low blood sugar and so a few minutes later he took the bag, found a private corner and poured some almonds into his mouth as well.

Later, when we got to dinner, we both thoroughly washed our hands before sitting down to eat.


*Extra bonus of reading this article is seeing the word "mollycoddled" used.
Digg this

3 comments:

Polina said...

... what kind'a chairs??

Ellie said...

For the living room. Big squishy ones - maybe that recline, but not that look like they recline.

We were discouraged that they all costs many many hundreds of dollars. Back to craigslist for us!

T. Ross said...

I'm glad to know that by not being organized to bathe our children on a regular basis, we are, in fact, protecting them and being great paretns. Yay for us!

Word verification: "fologist"

Awesome.