Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The space heaters in the closet should have been a clue

We're getting settling into our new place and into a new cold hard reality: it's cold.*

I guess we shouldn't be surprised: it is much bigger, has higher ceilings, and was built in 1906.

It is, nonetheless, a brutal new world

We are adapting but it isn't pretty. I've taken to wearing several bulky layers and, when available, a hood. Eric wears a hat indoors all the time now. I think it might actually be colder in the apartment than it is outside.

But I fear the worst is yet to come. We may have to become "robe and slipper" people.

You know - slovenly, smelling of stale coffee and bad breath, and always scratching something.**

At least it isn't haunted. That we know of. Yet.


*When I told my brother "We love our new apartment, there's just one thing we're having a hard time with" his response was "It's haunted?"
**No offense to any robe and slipper people out there.
Digg this

3 comments:

ginger said...

Sounds like you may be in the market for a slanket...... I think so!!!

Ellie said...

Ha! Yes, perhaps. Though I will admit that things are somewhat better now that the landlord showed us how to turn on the heat.

I also realized too late that this would have been the perfect post in which to mention Eric's past as a robe-wearer...I have heard, but not seen photos, of the monk robe, complete with rope cinch, that he apparently sported during high school.

ginger said...

Ah yes, I remember it well.