Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Gimme a break, gimme a break...

Yesterday morning in the shower I noticed Eric had bought himself some new soap: Zest. Immediately the old jingle ran playfully through my mind. "You're not fully clean unless your Zest-fully clean!"

This is not the only commercial jingle from my childhood taking up undue space in my brain. Remember the McDonald's "double double cheese cheese burger burger please please" commercial? Or the Big Red commercial with the song "Just kiss a little longer...hold tight a little longer...keep fresh breath a little longer...longer with Big Red!" And of course, "My Buddy, My Buddy, wherever I go, heeeee goes!" and the counterpart for Kid Sister.

Think of all the valuable mental real estate that is being consumed by these mindless consumeristic ditties! If I had enough brain space left over to consider how troubling it is that so much of my brain's space is taken up by 80's commercials I might really be concerned about it.

The fact that I still know all the words to songs like "We didn't light the fire" and "Ice ice baby" is unrelated.
Digg this

4 comments:

Meghan Taylor said...

In my 8th grade talent show, we did a "montage" of commercial jingles...and I'm pretty sure I still remember most, if not all, of them. "I like bread and butter, I like toast and jam, I like those good and simple things, and that's why I like spam..." I'll stop there.

Ellie said...

No don't stop there!

I am thrilled to learn that a performing commercials could be considered a talent. (Did you go to public school...?)

Maybe I've been looking at this the wrong way. I should start thinking about how I can use this knowledge to my advantage. Perhaps for my next client meeting I will rewrite the words to the Doublemint commercial with a new strategy for embedding sustainability across the organization.

ginger said...

Thanks to you, and my misfortune of reading your blog this morning, I sang, "You deserve a break today,
so get up and get away - to McDonalds..." I basically thought about YOU most of the day!!!(and McDonalds...............)

Jay Nicolosi said...

Whatever happened to those jingles? Obviously they work, if we all remember them 2 decades later. Everything had a jingle back then, and then they just kinda stopped. Remember the "oh what a feeling....Toyota" commercials and then all the people would jump in the air? Or the classic, ala Seinfeld, "by.....Mennen" which I think was a deorderant?