Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Monday, March 9, 2009

I was either relieved or disappointed

Jamaica, Eric and I did the hike from the Palomarin trailhead to Alamere Falls on Sunday, about eight miles roundtrip including an iffy, trecherous scramble down (and eventually back up) a shale-y cliff. It was a perfect, clear sunny (though chilly) day and a spectacular hike.

The last time I did this hike, probably about eight years ago and probably at a warmer time of year, I shared the trail and the waterfall with a large group of nudists.

The first clue that something unusual was afoot was when a young man wearing a large backpack and no clothing passed me on the trail. Even in California, this is not something you see everyday.

Over the course of the next 20 minutes or so, several more stray nudists went by on the trail, causing me to believe it wasn't simply one dude who was just really hot.

Upon arrival at the beach, where the falls spill over a cliff onto the sand and run into the ocean, there was a large group of extremely naked people. Men and women, all adults and mostly in their 40s and 50s. Likely because I was one of the few non-naked people who hadn't fled the beach almost immediately upon arrival at the nakedfest, they asked me to take their picture (with their camera, obviously). Being friendly and agreeable, I obliged. It was...uncomfortable. And I remember it vividly; I could probably paint it perfectly from memory, if I could paint.

For better or worse, the most exciting thing about the hike today was, well, the hike itself. And that Jamaica brought some really good cheese.
Digg this

No comments: