Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Dietary time travel

I went back in time last night for dinner. Dietarily speaking. I went to Millenium, a wonderful vegan restaurant here in SF that used to be the "special treat" destination restaurant whenever I or a fellow vegan had a reason to celebrate.

I have to somewhat ashamedly admit: I wasn't that excited about going because I was worried that the food wouldn't be very good.

This is where my former vegan self slaps me. Hard.

For shame! How can I say such an outrageous thing? Questioning that vegan food not be the height of deliciousness? That's not fair! And also not true.

I was relieved and thrilled to discover that it was delicious. It also brought back a flood of vegan memories that ranged from having my grandmother think I had joined a cult* through the years of always carrying food in my purse for fear of going hungry at day-long events and business trips to the south to the guilt of secretly starting to eat cheese again. It was quite an emotional journey, that happily ended, like the meal, with vegan chocolate bread pudding and peanut butter ice cream.

I think I might even go back some time.


*This is true.
Digg this

1 comment:

T. Ross said...

I think this is where we went for my "birthday dinner" on the night of the imfamous Tori Amos concert (see Worst #1).

I had something mushroomy.