Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

With silver bells and cockle shells

I'm making a garden! I am going to grow edibles rather than ornamentals because then I can eat them. Given the way the economy is looking, I think that having the knowledge and materials to grow one's own food may prove to be a useful survival skill when supermarkets are empty and people are rioting in the streets.

I spent most of the day yesterday gathering my supplies. I went to not one but two Home Depots because the first one I went to turned out to be the only Home Depot that doesn't cut wood. At the second one, I procured the wood for the frame plus other necessary structural components. After that, I went to Sloat Garden Center which is a longtime San Francisco gardening institution where I got lots of helpful, if sometimes contradictory, advice about how to set up my garden. I also got lots of seeds though I discovered to my great dismay that somehow I forgot to get spinach, which apparently grows very well in San Francisco.

I'm roughly following Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening method and building two 2x4 foot garden boxes up on my roof, and I'll be growing some herbs in other planters, too. Check it out! This is just one of the boxes that I built today as it went from empty box to covered wagon garden.
Digg this

No comments: