Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I love you like ground meat loves refrigeration

I've got a great idea, I said to myself the other day. As a fun little treat to celebrate our one year anniversary this past Monday, I'm going to make red rice krispie treats and shape them into hearts.

Adorable, yes?

Yes, about as adorable as...raw ground beef.

Everything had been going really well: I had melted the marshmallows in the butter and put in red food coloring to make a dark pink gluey mixture, into which I mixed in the krispies. Then I had a flash of inspiration and mixed in some mini chocolate chips as an added bonus. These, of course, melted while I was mixing and then shaping the treats causing said treats to look much more like flesh than is really the idea.

Eric had a genuinely puzzled moment when he saw what looked to be raw heart-shaped hamburger patties sitting out on the counter, given that I don't eat beef even when molded into cute shapes.

At least now I have a good recipe for a spooky Halloween treat for next year.

And they're delicious, either broiled or grilled.
Digg this

2 comments:

T. Ross said...

You should have told him you were just practicing the whole "I'm gonna rip your heart out and then eat it!" thing...

Valentine's Day -- AZTEC STYLE!

Ellie said...

Ha. Yes. And I should also have sprinkled cinnamon on top, right? I think those Aztecs were all about the cinnamon.