Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Afternoon Announcements

When I was in 8th grade, I was selected to be the student who read the day's announcements over the PA system at the end of each day of junior high. I have no idea why I was selected for this dubious privilege but I embraced it with gusto.

The way I opened it, every day for the entire 8th grade year, was by saying "Afternoon Announcements" with an upward lilt at the end of 'announcements' so that it sounded either like a question or like I was British royalty. After that, everything was read normally. I can't tell you why this made sense to me but at the time it did. And it became my signature, and my legacy.

To this day, people I went to junior high with will mimic it back to me and then, once again, wonder aloud about why it sounded like a question when it was clearly a statement. That's when I sock them in the gut and run away.

Today's Announcement, of the morning variety, is that Eric asked me to marry him and I said yes.
Digg this

6 comments:

dilettante07 said...

Yay! Congratulations!

Sarah said...

Oh my god, I LOVED afternoon announcements. Hilarious.

But, far more importantly, enormous congrats to you and Eric!!So excited for you guys.

Amanda said...

YEAH!!!!!!

today's word verification: obashon. As in, I am so flipping obashoned about you and Eric!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Also, way to bury the lede.

I am sorry to say I don't remember afternoon announcements. I think I've made a semi-conscious effort to forget most of Jr. High.

- ann

ginger said...

Very cleverly announced!!! I am so happy for you both and am smiling and smiling and smiling!!
A BIG HUG for both of you....and I am still smiling!!
YAY!!
:-)

Unknown said...

Congratulations Ellie! I have been lurking way too long without commenting. Had to break the silence for this one. :)