Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Slipped out

Eric's sister Lisa and her husband Matt visited us in San Francisco this weekend so we did our best to show them all that the Bay Area has to offer.

We did an extended walking tour of the city on Saturday which included a stop in Union Square. Much to our surprise and delight Ben & Jerry's was doing a free ice cream giveaway in Union Square that day and we all got to try their new "Flipped Out!" ice cream bar gimmick product. It looks like a little cup of ice cream and you peel the top off, flip it over into the perfectly sized little paper bowl, and then it is like a brownie sundae thing with brownie on the bottom, ice cream in the middle, and caramel and chocolate on the top. It's actually quite good.*

We sat there enjoying our Flipped Out!'s on the steps in the square along with hundreds of others doing the same. There was a young fellow next to us talking to a friend and he started reading off the nutrition facts from the label.

"14 grams of fat, 380 calories, 4 grams..."

"Hey! Pipe down!" I jokingly shouted at him.

He clearly didn't appreciate my humor; instead, he froze as if I had slapped him. I felt horrible. He was probably 14 years old. He might have been on a "date" with the young woman he was sitting with. I am a mean person.

"I'm sorry - that sounded a little harsh. Please - carry on," I tried to fix it but the damage had been done.

I didn't hear him say another word the whole time we sat there.


*If you've ever wondered if those free giveaways are worth it for companies, consider the amount of airtime I have now given them for free. Well, for free ice cream.
Digg this

2 comments:

ginger said...

Oh Man, I have done that too.....now I have learned to access the situation and the person involved before I say it.....and then, often the moment passes. But, I am not 100%, and still find myself trying to fix it.
Apparently I think I am funnier than others do.....
(I, however, think YOU are really funny!!!!)

Sarah said...

I think that kid needed to learn a lesson.