Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Babaghanoush Express

Last night, after a failed attempt to make homemade babaghanoush and a messy carrot cake-making incident, we watched "Midnight Express" on Netflix 'Watch Now.' We chose that over "Who's Harry Crumb?" and "What about Bob" and I feel confident that it was the right choice.

For those who haven't seen it, 'Midnight Express' harkens back to the days when synthesizers were the hot new thing and the occasional intensely homoerotic scene was simply what viewers expected from movies set in Turkish prisons. It was entertaining, if a bit long, and more fun that dealing with all the dishes.

I don't know if it was the similarity in name, the synthesizer music, or both, but I kept discovering that the music from 'Starlight Express' was running around in my head.

If you're not familiar with Starlight Express, it was an Andrew Lloyd Webber rock musical that featured actors on rollerblades singing about trains or something. My brother, father and aunt Barbara went to see it when it came to Chicago at some point in the late 80s and boy did we love it! My aunt Barbara even gave my brother and me the original cast recording audio tape soundtrack which, as we quickly discovered, was in German because that's where the musical debuted. We liked it a lot anyway.

This video gives you just a taste. It really starts heating up around 2:15 min into it.
Digg this

No comments: