Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

This must be a rite of passage in Mexico

We went for a great hike today and picked up burritos for dinner on the way home. We started at Mariachi's, my favorite burrito place in the whole world for the past ten years. I am truly sad to tell you that THEY HAVE CLOSED THEIR DOORS FOREVER. The sign posted in the window didn't say why they are permanently closed, just that they are. I wept.*

Once I had recovered my composure, I walked down the block to another excellent taqueria and got us burritos to take home for dinner.

To be honest, Emerson has been a bit of a snob so far when it comes to baby food. Mushed up boiled carrots and peas are not his thing. He's not interested in pureed winter squash - but some freshly homemade sage parmesan butternut squash soup is right up his alley. Last week at a restaurant with friends Emerson happily ate a healthy portion of Eric's lasagna and I'm not sure I would be exaggerating to say that tonight Emerson ate about a third of my burrito. He was kind of begging so I gave him a taste. He LOVED it. He is my son.

I have a feeling some of you out there will be horrified. But if you think about it, a burrito is actually a great food for babies: everything in it is either pureed (refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, salsa) or in very small pieces (rice, diced tomatoes, onions and cilantro, shredded cheese). And Emerson's little teeth have no problem with the soft tortilla shell.

Baby burrito has taken on a whole new meaning.

*Not really. But seriously - this is a huge bummer!
Digg this

1 comment:

Dan said...

It would have been awesome if the sign on Mariachi's door had actually said, "WE HAVE CLOSED OUR DOORS FOREVER."