Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Gone veggie

I remember quite clearly the October day a little over 10 years ago now when I declared that I was vegan. I had to wait until I had finished the buttermilk pancakes I was eating to officially make the declaration, and I remember every single bite of pancake I ate that morning, holding each one in my mouth for an extra long time. When they were gone, I was a vegan and it would be three years before any animal product would pass my lips again.*

Since my first mouthful of forbidden cheese in late 2003, I have been on the slippery slope back through vegetarianism (eating delicious delicious cheese, then eggs, then more milk products), to fish, and while pregnant I even dabbled in actual meat (including when I lost a bet with Eric which required me to eat a steak). At this rate, I will be a cannibal soon.

So you can imagine my surprise when Eric told me that his new year's resolution for 2011 was to eat vegetarian.

Apparently, through no (intentional) influence of mine, Eric has taken to heart the plight of an overpopulated planet that in coming years will struggle and likely fail to provide 9 billion people will the meat-rich American diet that they all want. What's he going to do about it? Give up meat. Even though he loves it. A lot. I think it is admirable and I plan to be supportive, though I have been clear that this doesn't mean I can't have the occasional slice of bacon or lamb burger should the situation call for it.

The only exception to this rule is that he can eat meat or fish that he catches himself.

Guess who just decided he wants a fishing pole for Valentine's Day?


*With the notable exception of alligator meat but that's a story for another time.
Digg this

2 comments:

Dan said...

I made the exact same New Year's resolution. Like Eric, I'll only be eating fish or meat that I catch myself. Unlike Eric, I asked for a Unicorn Trap for Valentine's Day.

Ellie said...

Mmm...unicorn...