Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

This post is not about the rain

That doesn't mean it isn't still raining (it is - very much so) but I think I have found something more interesting to write about: the beehive in our living room.

I've taken to calling it a bee house rather than a hive because it doesn't look like the hives I used to be dangerously fascinated with as a child. It's just a bunch of wooden boxes stacked up, with a green slab that looks like a hat sitting atop.

Eric built it on Martin Luther King Day, which he had off but I didn't. First he had to drive to Sacramento to pick up all the wooden pieces (many, many pieces). Then he spent what I can only imagine was the vast majority of the day hammering nails into them (order of magnitude more nails than pieces of wood).

I don't know if our neighbors had the day off or not.

He bought enough wood to make two complete bee houses - each of them with a base, 5 bee boxes and a funny green hat. One is built. The other one is still practically at the sheep/loom stage hidden in the guest bedroom.

The bees (~30,000 of them) will arrive end of April in a box shipped overnight from somewhere not too far away. Apparently it weighs 3-4 pounds. I'm sort of curious as to what sorts of labeling they put on the outside of the box.

It is my understanding that the bee house will not stay in the living room once the bees become resident in it. (It's too cold and there isn't enough nectar flow in here.)
Digg this

1 comment:

T. Ross said...

Can't recall if I mentioned this to you before, but I have a good friend who has been a beekeeper for something like 4-5 years or so. If Eric has any questions, I can put you guys in touch with him.