Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

It might come in handy in an emergency

I had some yogurt for breakfast this morning but by the time I got to work I was hungry again and needed some sustenance for what was looking to be a pretty busy day.

I stopped into RJ's, an organic mini-market a block from my office, to see what sorts of nutritious breakfast items they had to offer.

I decided to take a look in the pastries case to see if by chance someone had accidentally put a healthy, high-protein breakfast item in there with the donuts, bear claws and chocolate-covered rice krispie treats.

I spotted a bran muffin hiding behind more indulgent-sounding muffins like lemon chiffon poppy seed and decided it was a good compromise, so I reached in and picked it up.

I am not joking when I say this thing weighed at least 4 pounds. Maybe 5.

And it's not a huge muffin - it's kind of average sized. I think it may be breaking some sort of rule of physics for maximum density of a baked good.

Having put my hand all over it, I had to buy it (luckily it was not priced per pound) and then I had to haul it back to my desk.

I've eaten maybe a third of the top crusty part (which has not only bran but dried fruits and coconut and who knows what else) and may not eat again for days. I might just tuck the rest into the company Emergency Survival Kit with the other calorie-dense survival foods.
Digg this

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Along with the Tylenol *PM* I once bought by mistake yet left with the rest of the "first aid/survival" supplies. I am a sick twist ;). LOVE the blog! Xoxo, Emily