Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sister

When I was at BCG, I worked on a pro bono project for a non-profit in DC called Women for Women International. It's a sponsorship organization where someone like me "sponsors" a woman in one of the eight post- (or current) conflict countries where they work. The sponsored woman then gets to participate in a year-long training and education program to help her rise out of poverty, become more independent and take better care of her family.

Part of the deal is that you and your "sister," as they call the sponsored woman, write letters to each other during the year while she is in the program. (Because most of them are illiterate, the letters are dictated to program staff, and then translated as well.)

I was particularly tickled by the sweet letter I just got from my current sister, "Adeline," who is in the DR Congo. Here it is:
Dear Friend Elizabeth,

Hello!

By the name of Jesus Christ, are you fine?

As for me, I am doing a bit well!

I have chosen the activity of Cultivating. I like too much culivating
through Women for Women and that is the activity is the one that I will continue
doing after Women for Women's instructions.

My dearest friend, merry Christmas day and happy new year 2010.

I have no more to tell you, my dear friend.

Lovely yours,
Adeline
Digg this

2 comments:

Meghan Taylor said...

Does this mean you enjoy our translation services, or find them lacking?? ;-)

Ellie said...

I find them delightful!

Having just received a new letter yesterday dated August 2009, however, I think perhaps they need to start translating faster. ;)