Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tired of nomadery

When I think about spending another month in limbo it makes me cry. I have to be honest: this past month has been really hard and I just don't know if I have another month of this in me. We are still living out of the suitcases we packed on July 30th and both Emerson and I are rapidly growing out of our clothing. Working from home, I spend more time than is good for me sitting at my laptop in this dim apartment and my time outdoors is usually spent walking around the parking lot with Emerson looking at the moon in the pre-dawn darkness rather than face the wildlife indoors.

The people I complain to say encouraging things like "one month will go by so quickly you'll hardly notice it," and while I want to believe them, this past month has been an eternity and it seems certain the next month will only be longer. Not knowing for sure which neighborhood we will be in has made us hesitant to start meeting people or get involved in local activities. For example, I took Emerson to try out a music class but am reluctant to sign up for the full session because if we end up in a different neighborhood it will be a long drive for no reason and all the moms and kids we would become friends with will live far away from us. So we will wait until we actually live somewhere.

Do you see how right I am to sit around feeling sorry for myself?

One bright spot: this weekend my brother Andrew will be joining us as we head out to New Smyrna Beach to hang out with a whole bunch of family, include Emerson's second cousin Lucy who is just a few years younger than he is. I think it is going to be a lot of fun.
Digg this

No comments: