Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Showered

My dear friend Sarah hosted a baby shower for me yesterday here in San Francisco and it was wonderful. She laid out one of the more impressive tea selections I have seen outside of places called "emporiums" and there was delicious food, including mini-cupcakes. Smokey (her cat) was a particular fan of the cupcakes and eventually got locked in the bedroom when he was discovered sitting on a chair next to the table happily licking the frosting off of a chocolate cupcake. I don't blame him - they were awesome.

One determinant of the tone of a baby shower is how many of the women there have already had their own babies. In this case, out of a dozen or so people at the shower three of us were pregnant for the first and there were two current moms. Everyone else was baby-free. I thought this worked out very well because we had two people who could gently correct me when I held up a burp cloth and called it a bib but the gifts were all on the cuter end of functional.

(In contrast, I once went to a baby shower where the mom-to-be and me were the only non-mothers and the gifts were decidedly tilted towards the horrifying side of functional ("this cream is great for when your nipples are sore and bleeding and you want to tear them off your body").)

The other big thing to look out for with baby showers is what games the hostess has arranged for the group to play. It can get pretty ugly (think: mini-candy bars melted into diapers and force-feeding mom-to-be pureed beef and carrots). In this case, we were very fortunate that Sarah chose a fun game where everyone got a list of characteristics the baby will have (height, hair, smile, sense of direction, breath, musical ability, desire to take risks, temper, sense of right and wrong, etc) and the goal was to guess whether I would want the baby to inherit mine or Eric's. Some were very clear (hair - mine, height - Eric's) and some were a little trickier (sense of direction - this child is doomed either way. Same with desire to take risks, though I think I am just slightly more conservative than Eric is). All told, it pretty much looks like I am hoping for a mini-Eric. But I guess that kind of makes sense.

The whole afternoon was a blast. Look how much fun I am having (and yes, I do intend to use that bamboo hooded towel myself, thank you very much).

Thanks so much for a great shower Sarah!

Digg this

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Awww....It was fun to celebrate you and Belvedere!! I gave Smokey a harsh talking to that night, but Rob kind of ruined it by chiming in with "way to go, Smokey."