Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cleaning Lady Macbeth

We had a cleaning lady come over last week to do the kind of deep cleaning that is really best outsourced and she did an extremely thorough job.

My mother was here this past weekend and on Saturday she was making a pumpkin pie.

"I don't know how to use your oven," she called to me from the kitchen.

"Just turn the knob to the temperature you want," I called, rolling my eyes like the salty teenager I still sometimes become when my mother is around.

"But how do you know the temperatures?" she insisted, sounding truly at a loss.

I finally went to show her how to turn the numbered knob and discovered that she had a very real reason to be confused: the oven knob had been scrubbed so clean that all of the numbers indicating the temperature points were gone. The knob was blank.

We thought we could still maybe see the bottoms of two zeroes that was probably where 400 degrees had been, so we took a Sharpie and wrote in some temps where we thought they belonged.

We have since burned the pumpkin pie and a lasagna, so I think we need to recalibrate.

Digg this

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That is hilarious. And I love the phrase "salty teenager."

Unknown said...

I recommend the title: "My cleaning lady went to town polishing my knob, and now my pie is burnt."

Ellie said...

Jason, I like your suggestion very much! Though I think that's actually the English translation of the Japanese adult happy time comments that I am constantly deleting.