Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Traveling plus two

I took Emerson and Ethan to San Francisco by myself last week to visit friends. By the looks I got walking through the airport you would think I was some sort of circus sideshow - hideous, fascinating and impossible not to comment on.

Every single person I interacted with started the conversation saying "You've got your hands full!" or some variation, usually in a half-cheery half-horrified voice. I would smile and agree. I relied on the kindness of strangers and was happy to find many kind strangers on my journey, along with plenty of spectators, too.
 I had Ethan in the Ergo the whole time and Emerson rode in his car seat strapped to a rolling carry-on suitcase. It was actually quite manageable except for the part from the airline door to our seats. Thank goodness for Economy Plus.

Several women, upon seeing us, ordered their husbands to help me immediately. 


I got lots of comments on how well-behaved they both were, and it was true. Ethan slept 90% of the time, like he always does. Emerson was a great sport about traveling and the worst he did was a wee bit of kicking the seat in front of him.

Emerson's last flight was the move to Florida at the end of July and he didn't seem to remember it, which meant he experienced this as his first airplane flight. Our first take-off he held my arm and seemed a bit nervous but after than he was unphased by the ups and downs of airplane travel. 

I am glad that we did it and proud that I made it work. I am not sure I am quite ready to do it again, but I will have to get ready in time for our trip to Chicago in a few weeks. 
Digg this

1 comment:

Meghan Taylor said...

Chicago?!?! When will you be here? I'd love to see you if you have a few moments to spare! - Meghan