Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Monday, June 27, 2011

My dad's friend Christine

On Friday night we saw Christine Brewer, and several other singers, perform with the SF symphony. This was our last set of tickets for our subscription and though we practically had to invite someone in off the street to babysit for Emerson we were able to get there.

We were particularly excited to see Christine not only because she might be the best soprano alive today but because my dad thinks of her as a friend. Christine ended up getting connected to my grandmother through the Obama campaign and they stayed in touch and eventually connected in person at a panel Christine spoke at before one of her performances which my father and grandmother attended - after which my father was not shy about introducing himself and taking a photo with her.

To her credit, she has been very gracious and my father has a growing collection of photos with Christine and various family members following her performances in Chicago, and possibly other locations. For example, here she is with my brother, my father and his neighbor friend Gloria. (Christine is in red.)

So I practically felt like I knew here when she walked out on stage on Friday night. She was absolutely wonderful and the performance was a true pleasure. We definitely went out on a high note with the SF symphony!

Unlike my father, I did not elbow my way backstage after the show to introduce myself and take a picture with her. Sorry Dad. I'm sure you're a little disappointed.
Digg this

No comments: