Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Leaving

Now that everyone knows that we move to Florida on July 31, our status is officially "leaving."

I think this is why I put off telling people for a long time. The time between now and our flight to Tampa has become purgatory: we are still around but all people can think about or talk to us about is the upcoming move and there is no way to just enjoy the present moment.

At its worst, we can feel people choosing not to invest any more time or energy in us because we will so soon be too far away to be relevant.

And I suppose we are guilty of it as well. How we choose to spend our time is now filtered through a lens of "is this worth doing before we leave." And while it sort of makes me happy that we have at least one dinner on our calendar with new people we don't know yet, part of me wonders if that even makes sense.

Eric and I started dating when he was in DC-SF purgatory - a particularly tricky year-long version of this geographical limbo. It almost kept us from starting to date. But we forced ourselves to simply live in the moment and know that the future would resolve itself, and of course it has.

You'd think that being as transient as I have been for the past 15 years (no more than 3 years in one place at a time) I would be better at this than I am. But as much as I love embracing the new adventures that come with moving, I really hate leaving.
Digg this

No comments: