Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Into the painting on the wall

One of the highlights of our east coast adventure last week was an unexpected visit to Lancaster Brewing Company. I was delighted to learn that the building in the painting I like so much that hangs over my grandmother Muz's couch in her living room was converted into a microbrewery and brewpub!

Of course, we had to go check it out.

It was pretty surreal to walk into the image I have become so familiar with through the painting. Unlike in Mary Poppins when they jump into the sidewalk chalk drawings, we didn't find ourselves singing and dancing with Dick van Dyke. But we did sample the 11 brews made on the premises including Amish Four Grain pale ale, Hop Hog IPA and a seasonal Strawberry Wheat. Not sure if I've gone soft after not drinking for so long but after just a wee sip or two I managed to spill several of them and break one glass.

We ate dinner at the brewpub as well and it was an unexpectedly delicious meal. Muz, who is 88 years old, declared her salad to be the best salad she had ever had. Really? I asked her, wondering if there was some qualification like "best salad with feta cheese eaten at a brewpub with her first great grandson" or something like that. No - "best salad" period. What a treat!

This sign, next to the brewpub parking lot, got my imagination running wild. What sort of science are they manufacturing at the Science Factory?


We'll let you know after we visit it on our next trip.

Digg this

No comments: