Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Little Dude Is Here

I may be the only woman who, during early labor, toured both the Jelly Belly jelly bean factory and the Anheuser Busch brewery (they happen to be essentially across the street from each other, oddly enough). This was Friday, March 26th. Eric played hooky and we made a fun day of it visiting local attractions.

It wasn't until dinner when my contractions were six minutes apart that I decided to mention to Eric that I thought something might be happening. I had been worried that as soon as I said I was feeling something, the contractions would slow down or stop and I was eager to get labor going.

By the time I mentioned it at 9pm, telling Eric did nothing to slow or stop them: we were off to the races.

I don't think I was naive about how painful labor would be, I just don't think there is any way to anticipate that sort of physical experience. The good news is that it is also very difficult to remember, otherwise I think the world would have a lot more only children.

A mere 12 hours later, a little after 9am Saturday morning, Emerson was born. He was born underwater in a tub in his room and his father caught him as he emerged. It was magical.

Not more than three minutes after he was born, our doorbell rang. It was three members of the SFPD. Apparently, neighbors had called in concerned about the noise*. Our doula, who had answered the door, assured them all was well and that there had just been a birth. They left, and then came back a few minutes later for some proof that they could take with them. The doula offered them her card and the midwife's and they left.

Here's Emerson about an hour after he was born:

I've created a separate blog to show off photos of our beautiful baby boy. You can check it out here.

We've spent the last week and a half staring at him, hanging out with him, and celebrating like fools every time he squeaks, squeals, eats, sleeps or poops. It is almost impossible for me to believe that he came from inside my body. He is a total miracle and we love him very very much.

*Did I forget to mention that I screamed like a wild animal for a good portion of the pushing phase?

Digg this

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Massive congratulations!! Tell him Aunt Sarah is on the way tomorrow to eat him up.