Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Banjo night

This is Banjo Night at the Elks' Club in Pittsburgh.

I was there. I took this picture:
What you can see in the picture:
  • Lots of white people
  • It was an uncommon mix of older folk, iron city hipsters and people who love banjos.
  • A large American flag.
  • This picture was taken in the Allegheny Room. 

What you can't see in the picture:
  • "DJ Divine," an octogenarian with a fabulous gravelly voice who sings with the banjo crew, apparently quite regularly. She sang two songs the night I was there, one of which was "All of Me" alternately known, she said, as "the fat girl's song."
  • My brother and his girlfriend Brin knocking back a pitcher of Yuengling like someone is going to steal it.
  • An old guy wearing a dark red silk bathrobe over his pajamas standing in the doorway. Is there housing at the Elks' club? I didn't think so but this makes me want to know for sure.

Digg this

No comments: