Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

A first

A conference first for me today: at a session on IKEA's partnership with UNICEF they showed a video on the work they are doing with children in South Africa that just got to me for some reason and I cried. A little at first, then more. It was the last part of the session so I knew if I could survive the video I could get to the bathroom and pull myself together.

As I was trying to make my eyes look less red and puffy, other women in the bathroom tried to be nice to me. One woman in the bathroom who had also seen the video said "Oh bless your heart." Another said she had also teared up a bit. 

One woman who had been at a different breakout session wasn't sure what to make of it. "Your session made you cry? That bad?"

I don't know if it was the African music or the young children or being really tired and really pregnant or maybe just all of it together. I couldn't help but cry.

I'm hoping for a less dramatic day tomorrow.


Digg this

No comments: