Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Our transformation continues

We are now a two-car family.

As our experience with the house has demonstrated time and again, I can really struggle with these large purchases. I get a little paranoid that everyone knows something I don't and is trying to take advantage of my lack of savvy*. So I tried to put on my best economics-major mindset and recognize that while there is information asymmetry (I believe "buying a used car" is the example in the text book) that doesn't have to make me a sucker. I think that Seinfeld episode about the dealership has also been quite influential in my thinking about car buying. No undercoating for me!

We have been looking around for a used Prius because the Nissan Leaf is not yet available in Florida. I would like for us to be totally off petroleum vehicles in the next few years, or as soon as possible. That didn't stop me from having a brief crush on the Lexus hybrid SUV but I got over it when I realized our 94 Honda still gets better gas mileage than most hybrid SUVs.

Per craigslist, which has used vehicles for sale both by owner and by dealers, there were a bunch of used Priuses in our price range, including one which boasted a dent on the front bumper from hitting a raccoon. We arranged to see the most promising ones for sale at two different places and just to be sure we were set up for success, we made sure Emerson ate and napped poorly all day before going car-shopping.

The first "dealer" was a couple of Ukrainains and their pit bull Eos who rent a small storage warehouse in a row of other small storage warehouses. We were extremely dubious. Eric took the maroon Prius for a drive while I let Emerson do his new favorite thing: sit in the driver's seat of our car and let him "drive" (while car is parked). He wiggles the steering wheel, tries to honk the horn, pushes the climate control buttons and changes the stations on the radio. He is in heaven.

Eric reported that this particular Prius was both stinkier and louder than our 94 Honda and Boss Ukranian told him he had actually bought it from a dealer who had it priced several thousand dollars higher. Wha?! With so much weirdness, we decided to move on but not before Eos attempted to lick Emerson's face clean off his head. Emerson was delighted by it, of course, and the dog was perfectly friendly about it, if a bit persistent.

Our next stop was a Toyota dealership with a white Prius we had been particularly interested in. When we walked up, another couple was talking to a salesman about the Prius so Eric found a different salesman and immediately asked to take it for a drive. Meanwhile, Emerson and I had fun exploring the dealership. We found the powdered sugar trail leading to the now-empty boxes of donuts (note to self: go car-shopping earlier in the day). Emerson got a big blue balloon to play with. Emerson found the donation box of unopened toys that was clearly heading to needy Florida children and decided some of the toys needed a little breaking in.

When they returned from the test drive, the other people were there ready and waiting to take it for a spin but Eric convinced our salesman to let me take it out first. I enjoyed the test drive and without giving up the keys, Bob and I went to his desk to discuss the deal. After a speedy negotiation, we agreed on a price ($1,000 off the asking price!) and we bought the car! Sorry to the other people. I'm sure they will find something else that they like.

I got to drive the pretty new white Prius all the way home and now all we need to do is name her.


*This from the daughter of the woman who would walk into car dealerships and announce to the salesperson "I don't know anything about cars"
Digg this

No comments: